Monday, August 23, 2010

Mother May

Happy, as ever, for the reminders that family history is always a work in progress, that by sharing what information we have, we invite additions and revisions to the stories.  It's always a bit of a guessing game as to what information might be correct, what might be "real" and what might be fabricated, or simply erroneously copied, drummed up, or imagined.  But it's well worth the effort to make a stab at getting to the truth--it's a nice way to dignify a life. 

I heard from my Great Uncle Mase regarding my story on Agnes Dunn, and he was able to fill in some of the gaps.  His mother had extensive notes which she got from her mother, Eliza May Mason Gardner, whom Mase and my grandfather called Mother May.  Mase is also going to send me the family tree that he put together after his Aunt Arlene went to England and Scotland and went sleuthing in graveyards and public records offices.  It sounds like it was a fruitful expedition.  I am excited to put more of the pieces together!  And when I do, I'll revise Agnes' tale yet again--though I am certain it will not be the last time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this nice post 111213